Rishikesh has gained popularity as one of the hubs of adventure activities across the country. If you want to rejuvenate yourself and immerse yourself in nature then camping in Rishikesh with your peers is the best way to go about it. What’s more? Rishikesh provides an array of campsites ranging from beside the river, in front of the mountains, in the jungle and on a beach. You just have to pick which one is the best match for you and enjoy your vacation camping in the pure city of Rishikesh.
In addition to camping, you can try out the various adventure activities like white water river rafting, Flying Fox, Bungee jumping, Paragliding, Trekking, Giant Swing, Kayaking and many more. Most of the campsites are well within the range of tourist points and adventure sites, which makes it easier to plan your camping.
Altitude: 1,120 ft
Distance from Delhi: 233 km
Location: Dehradun, Garhwal
Days Required: 3 Days/ 4 Nights
Temperature: 20 to 6 Degree Celsius (December)
How to Reach:
Rishikesh, located in the state of Uttarakhand is well connected with all the means of communication. Let’s see the options to reach Rishikesh
By Bus: Taking a bus will avoid burning a hole in your pocket and you can cover a distance of 233 km in 4 hours by bus. There are many serviceable operators available from Delhi that will drop you off at Rishikesh directly. You can opt to take the UPSRTC bus or a private AC Volvo bus.
By Private Car: Taking your own vehicle is the most comfortable and exciting way to reach Rishikesh. You can enjoy the scenic routes and have fun road trips with your friends and family. As Rishikesh is well connected via road with other major cities, the route is easily accessible and you can navigate your way using Google maps.
By Train: At a distance of 21 km from Rishikesh is the nearest Railway station known as Haridwar Junction. As Haridwar is a hubbub of devotees, you will find many trains commuting daily to Haridwar.
By Flight: The fastest way to reach Rishikesh is getting a flight up to the Jolly Grant Airport which is 21 km away from Rishikesh and then getting a cab to reach your destination.
When to Visit:
Although Camping in Rishikesh is an activity that remains operational all around the year, a few months brings out the best in its surroundings. The period between September to November and March till May experience pleasant weather and you can have a crisp view of the mountains and river depending on the campsite you choose to camp at.
What to Pack:
The best plan starts with organised packing. To enjoy your stay, you need to be prepared with all the things you might need for different activities. Here is a list to help you pack your belongings.
- Always carry an extra pair of clothes, a full sleeve shirt and some warm layers to keep you comfortable at night.
- Having a raincoat or an umbrella might prove useful if there’s any occasional rain
- Utilities like sunglasses, safety pins, lip balm, cap, mosquito repellent, sunscreen and moisturiser
- Pack for precautionary medicines like Crocin, Paracetamol and first-aids
- Having something to munch on is nice. So, you can pack eatables like dry fruits, chocolates, snacks and energy bars. Also having an energy drink is good to prevent feeling tired out from the activities.
- Carry essential documents like Adhar Card, Driver’s Licence and photocopies just in case.
- If you have some adventurous activities in mind then don’t forget to pack accordingly. For example: Hiking boots for trekking.
Tips for the Trip
- Always listen to the instructor and do not wander off alone. Especially, if you choose to camp in the jungles among the wildlife.
- If you are camping near the river, make a healthy distance from the riverside.
- Do not keep your food or any of your belongings out in the open for that matter as it might attract the animals to the campsite.
- Apply mosquito repellent to avoid getting an infection from the bugs and mosquitoes while sleeping.
- Wear long and full sleeves clothes during night to keep you warm and avoid getting sick.
- It is better to plan your trip before checking the weather condition so as to not spoil your plans.
- If you are planning on doing some activity it is better to pre-book it to avoid wasting time on the day itself.