Radiant Crown Publishing Presents:
The Kármán (100km) Annual Chapbook Series
Radiant Crown Publishing seeks new, emerging, and established author’s and poet’s previously unpublished submissions for The Kármán (100km) Chapbook Prize. The series will comprise of gothic science-fiction, surrealist horror, and/or magical realist prose and poetry from those typically on the margins. Works that are transitioning between time and space, and are engrossing should submit.
Guest Judge: Coming Soon
- Participants cannot know the judge or RCP staff personally
- Authors and poets have to identify with one or more marginalized identities such as gender, ability status, age, race or religion
- Strictly one manuscript per reading period
- Previously published pieces are acceptable. Include proper credit. The bulk of the entry should be new content
- Entries must be between 25 and 40 pages, with one poem per page (doesn’t include frontmatter or backmatter)
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted. If accepted elsewhere notify RCP right away (and congrats!)
- Encouraged genres or overarching themes are gothic science-fiction, surrealist horror, and/or magical realism.
The winner will receive digital (ePub/mobi) and print publication through Radiant Crown Publishing, a $150USD cash prize through PayPal, and 50 full-color author copies with an ISBN included.
- All finalist receive free digital editions of the winning chapbook
- Winning translators will receive $75USD through PayPal, and a copy of the chapbook for helping to bring great work to the English language
- An excerpt will be featured in the edition of Helios Quarterly Magazine and/or Selene Quarterly Magazine coming out before publication.
- If selected as the winner, a photo will be requested
- Follow Shunn’s manuscript style for prose and poetry
- All submissions should be attached as a .doc, .docx (preferred) or a .rtf sent to subs [at] radiantcrownpublishing.com
- The subject line should read CHAPBOOK: GENRE: TITLE: LENGTH ex). CHAPBOOK: SURREAL HORROR: Bro[ ]Kin: 25 Pages
- A short cover letter is required. Please include your legal name, pen name (if relevant), contact information, recent publications (if any), and include a bio of 150 words
January 1st-January 31st, 2018 (ends at 11:59 EST)
Announcement: March 2018
Publications of Winners: By March 2019
Any personal information collected (including but not limited to your name, address, email, social media links, and pen name) is held in strict confidence and not shared with anyone else unless compelled by law or in the event threats are leveled against the staff.
If a third party contacts Radiant Crown Publishing interested in an author’s or poet’s work, the author/poet will be contacted first to ask permission to share details.
Code of Ethics:
Radiant Crown Publishing respects and upholds the Community of Literary Magazines and Presses recommendations:
CLMP’s community of independent literary publishers believe that ethical contests serve our shared goal: to connect writers and readers by publishing exceptional writing. We believe that intent to act ethically, clarity of guidelines, and transparency of process form the foundation of an ethical contest.
To that end, we agree to 1) conduct our contests as ethically as possible and to address any unethical behavior on the part of our readers, judges, or editors; 2) to provide clear and specific contest guidelines—defining conflict of interest for all parties involved; and 3) to make the mechanics of our selection process available to the public.
This Code recognizes that different contest models produce different results, but that each model can be run ethically. We have adopted this Code to reinforce our integrity and dedication as a publishing community and to ensure that our contests contribute to a vibrant literary heritage.
By sending us your work you understand and agree that:
- You are the original creator and copyright holder of the work submitted;
- You are not prohibited by any prior agreement from the transfer of exclusive electronic & print rights in English, first world translation rights into English, reprint rights, and/or non-exclusive audio rights to the work;
- All information submitted is accurate and truthful; and
- You accept sole responsibility for any false statements upon rights not disclosed.
If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian will sign your contract and accept your payment on your behalf.
Past Winners: Dark Palace by L.C. Douglass (2017)
Past Judges: Erin Bethany, Author of Serotonin: A Poetry Chapbook (2017)
Track Your Submission:
LAST UPDATED: October 28, 2017