Announcing Radiant Crown Publishing’s upcoming anthology of dieselpunk fiction, featuring art from the premiere dieselpunk artist, Gaslandia!
January 1st, 2017- March 1st, 2017
Anything submitted outside of this window will be deleted unread.
Gaslandia is an upcoming anthology of speculative, mysterious, and romantic dieselpunk adventures! Framed as a book of legends told during an air raid, each story should have a 1920s-1950s pop culture aesthetic not necessarily restricted to a North American audience. Critical nostalgia is key. Don’t feed us the same old tired tropes without engaging the past in new ways. We want sprawling metropolises teeming with innovation, undiscovered frontiers in the depths of the oceans, and the vastness of the open skies re-imagined. Pack your stories full of locomotives, speakeasies, radios, spies, telegraphs, gangsters, submarines, world fairs, skyscrapers, inequality, warfare, and magic that dazzled and divided the world. Deadline March 1st, 2017 11:59 EST.
Last Exile (Animation)
Children of the Sun (RPG)
Jean “Mœbius” Giraud (Comics)
Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy (CYOA)
Thrilling Tales of the Downright Unusual (Illustrated Serial Fiction)
RIGHTS SOUGHT FOR FICTION
- Non-exclusive archival rights as long as the website(s) hosting the work are online
- If an audiobook is produced, payment is $0.01USD per word for non-exclusive electronic audio rights
- First world electronic and print rights in English with exclusivity for 8 months from the date of publication
- Copyright remains with the author at all times
Please query if anything listed is of concern. Here is a good explanation of what this entails.
LENGTH & GUIDELINES
SHORT STORIES: 1001 to 7,499 words. Paid $0.01USD per word.
NOVELETTE: 7,500 to 17,499 words. Paid $0.01USD per word.
NOVELLA: 17,500 to 40,000 words. Paid $0.01USD per word.
SPOTLIGHT SHORT STORY: 1001 to 1500 words. One story involving an air pirate with a prosthetic limb as a central element of the plot. Paid $0.02USD or $0.03USD per word.
All payments made through PayPal. Please note that these are not professional rates. Fiction can only be resold as a reprint after publication. Decide if you want to take this payment scheme or submit to another market.
- Poorly formatted and edited work
- Overtly racist, sexist, violent, etc. works without adding value overall
- Works above the word counts and/or untitled
- Fanfiction of any kind
- Excerpts out of a novel
- Taboo elements (rape in all forms, incest, pedophilia, etc.) in almost all cases
- Pushing the boundaries of genre and form
- People of Color, disabled people, women, LGBTQIA, and other marginalized groups at the forefront
- Pulp fiction, Decopunk/”Ottensian” Dieselpunk, Diesel Noir, Diesel Weird War, Diesel “Piecraftian” Dystopia, Weird Western, Dying Earth, Raygun Gothic/Atompunk, Slipstream, Ancient Aliens, Hollow Earth, and so on
- The subject line should read GASLANDIA: CATEGORY: TITLE (WORD COUNT) ex). GASLANDIA: SHORT STORIES: Super Story (1001)
- A short cover letter is required. Please include your legal name, pen name (if relevant), contact information, recent publications/awards (if any), and a bio of 50-150 words. Interview questions will be sent to accepted authors. A photo of you is required
- Submissions should be attached in the email as a .rtf, .doc or .docx
- Shunn’s manuscript style for fiction required (double-spaced, 12 pt standard font, page numbers, etc.)
- Reprints encouraged!
- Translations into English are welcome
- Up to two submissions in total allowed
- Simultaneous submissions to other markets are accepted! Alert RCP immediately should your work be accepted somewhere else (congrats in advance!)
Currently around two months after submitting. Do not query before then. We do not send out notification that the piece has been received, only when it is accepted or rejected. We will try to answer all submissions with an acceptance or rejection letter.
Any personal information collected (including but not limited to your name, address, email, social media links, and pen name) is held in strict confidence and not shared with anyone else unless compelled by law or in the event threats are leveled against the staff.
If a third party contacts RCP interested in an author’s or artist’s work, the author/artist will be contacted first to ask permission to share details.
By sending us your work you understand and agree that:
- You are the original creator and copyright holder of the work submitted;
- You are not prohibited by any prior agreement from the transfer of exclusive electronic & print rights in English, first world translation rights into English, reprint rights, and/or non-exclusive audio rights to the work;
- All information submitted is accurate and truthful; and
- You accept sole responsibility for any false statements upon rights not disclosed.
If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian will sign your contract and accept your payment on your behalf. Finally, if accepted here and then republished, you are required to add the title of this anthology as your previous place of publication.
TRACK YOUR SUBMISSION
LAST UPDATED: January 3, 2017